Well actually, I had a question about. . .
|—The Crappy Cliff|
Paintbrush, labeled The Hothead, is a contestant on Inanimate Insanity and was a member of Team Epic. They also competed in Inanimate Insanity II, and was a member of The Bright Lights. They are voiced by Taylor Grodin.
Although they are a caring, friendly, supportive, and helpful contestant to many, Paintbrush can become very stubborn and obdurate if things don't go as they plan. Evidently, Paintbrush is typically an unsentimental pragmatist and follows life along a realistic and reasonable path. They will play the game safe and enter each challenge levelheaded, with the intent to win. Although they are outranked by Lightbulb's leadership, Paintbrush will take any beneficial initiative for their team, frequently coming up with plans for success.
However, Paintbrush shows little patience for nonsense and absurdity, commonly provided by Lightbulb or Fan. Paintbrush has exhibited an exceptionally short temper for any immoral behavior they do not agree with. If angered enough, Paintbrush's bristles will ignite into flames of fury, literally becoming a "hothead". Paintbrush adopts a violent and destructive nature, going as far as to physically harm teammates for not cooperating. Though acting cruelly against others, Paintbrush will usually apologize and show remorse for acting out of line.
Prior to "Alternate Reality Show", Paintbrush is the only contestant whose gender was unknown. Fan's disscussed & argued over the idenity of Paintbrush's gender. Many who argued in favour of Paintbrush being male referred to when Paintbrush responded "Yeah!" once Nickel asked if they were a guy. However, it was confirmed that they were responding in happiness that they were picked for Team Epic. Many also used the example when Knife mentioned that they could "come in handy." However, this has been counteracted in "Breaking The Ice", whereas Knife suddenly refers to Paintbrush as a girl, which they also reply with a "Yeah!," but then quickly implying that they were on the The Bright Lights.
Lightbulb would commonly refer to Paintbrush by nicknames pertaining to both genders. For example, in "A Kick in the Right Direction", Lightbulb refers to Paintbrush as "tall fella" and "brush gal", still providing no clear answer.
However, in "Alternate Reality Show", Paintbrush was confirmed to be non-binary (neither male or female), or "C: None of the above". Lightbulb is the currently the only character who knows this.
Paintbrush has a long rounded body with a square head. A silver metal rim surrounds the top of their head. Paintbrush has yellow bristles that form a pointed brush that emerges from the metal rim. At the bottom of their body is a hole cut out in the center of Paintbrush's torso. In comparison to other contestants, Paintbrush is remarkably tall, as Knife says in both season 1 and 2.
Official Site Bio
Paintbrush is a tall and quite amiable player. His favorite- oops... her favorite- wait... um... Paintbrush loves to help out whenever possible for his/her team! Being quite outspoken, but under the rank of Lightbulb, Paintbrush appears to be Lightbulb's right-hand man... or... woman... or... forget this.
|—Inanimate Insanity Site, 2013|
Paintbrush strives to be a responsible leader that can earn victory for their team! The only problem is... they’re not the team leader, but that won’t stop them! Paintbrush is very compassionate and is always looking out for the best interests of friends and allies. Their strong leadership skills stem from a pragmatic approach to solving problems. That being said, they have little-to-no temper for those who slack. If you happen to anger Paintbrush... run.
|—Inanimate Insanity Site, 2018|
Paintbrush is known for their unique abilities, such as:
- Combustible Hair: Paintbrush's bristles react to their emotions and can glow with heat, as seen various times. If angered enough, Paintbrush's hair can ignite into flames.
Season 1 Votes
|Episode||EP #||Votes||Total Votes||Percentage|
|"A Lemony Lesson"||2||0||7||0%|
|"The Arena Of Death"||3||0||6||0%|
|"Aquatic Conflict"||11||93 to 104||364||26% to 29%|
|Total Number of Season 1 Votes:||126 to 137|
Season 2 Votes
|Episode||EP #||Votes||Total Votes||Percentage|
|"Marsh on Mars"||2||88||2498||3.52%|
|"Tri Your Best"||3||172||3021||5.69%|
|"Let 'Er R.I.P."||6||946||4211||22.46%|
|"Alternate Reality Show"||12||3||4303||37.5%|
|Total Number of Season 2 Votes:||2000|
|Total Number of Votes Combined:||2126 to 2137|
- Taylor Grodin (US/UK/AU/CAN)
- Jojo93able (Italy)
- Running Gag: Paintbrush has asked questions that have been interrupted and un-answered in various episodes.
- The origin of their initial question has been linked back to Lightbulb's secondary appearance in "The Crappy Cliff".
- Paintbrush has survived being the bottom two in Inanimate Insanity II more times than any other character, at two times.
- Paintbrush is the only Bright Lights member who has never sat out of a challenge.
- Paintbrush is currently the only character who is non-binary.
- Marshmallow apparently thought Paintbrush was a boy, when Apple thought Paintbrush was a girl.
- Paintbrush was mostly referred as a female to Lightbulb, up until they opened up to her about their gender.
- Test Tube thought Paintbrush was a girl before Fan mentioned that they were a boy.
- Nickel thought that Paintbrush was a male.
- MePad has referred to them by both Mr. and Ms.
- Paintbrush is the tallest contestant on Inanimate Insanity.
- Additionally, they are also the thinnest character.
- As stated by Adam in a vlog, Paintbrush's original voice actor disappeared, resulting in Taylor taking the role.
- Paintbrush was the first confirmed contestant in Inanimate Insanity II.
- Inanimate Insanity's Channel revealed their gender is non-binary, as seen on Inanimate Insanity II Episode 12 pinned comment.
- They are always focusing on keeping their bristles straight and smooth.
- Paintbrush keeps Baxter safe in their hotel room. However, they are slightly distrustful of others touching or holding him, as Lightbulb would be so upset if she found out something happened to Baxter.
- Paintbrush’s flame, when controlled, is actually safe to touch. However, generating the flame tires them, and they need a lot of energy to execute this phenomenon.
- However, it’s unknown if this is actually true, as this trivia was removed from the Inanimate Insanity website.
- Paintbrush is now learning how to control their rage, and to focus on that, they host weekly arts and crafts classes to control it.
- However, if things go wrong, Hotel OJ has fire extinguishers to take care of the job.
|The Bright Lights|
| Inanimate Insanity Characters