Cultural references are references to subjects that are somewhat popular in culture. Inanimate Insanity contains many of these, some being more obvious than others.
The Crappy Cliff
- MePhone4 uses the "one more thing" line, referring to a famous saying by the late Steve Jobs. Ironically, Steve Jobs is the founder of Apple, while MePhone is a part of Meeple, a parody of Apple.
- MePhone4 is voiced by Christian Potenza, who voices Chris McLean, the host of Total Drama Island, Total Drama Action, Total Drama World Tour, Total Drama: Revenge of the Island, Total Drama All-Stars, and Total Drama Pahkitew Island.
A Lemony Lesson
- Desperate Housewives is watched by Knife and Paper.
The Arena of Death
- Battle for Dream Island is referenced when Nickel is seen telling the Announcer that he "didn't want to be on his show anyway".
- Battle for Dream Island is again referenced when Nickel states that the elimination prizes (which are pencils) are stupid. Pencil randomly appears and tells Nickel that what he said "was like mean, jerk".
- Battle For Dream Island is referenced when Nickel states that he escaped the LOL with the help of Nonexisty.
- The game Angry Birds is referenced through the use of slingshots in the challenge, and the red and yellow birds are seen helping to explain the challenge.
- Contestants trip on Rocky from Battle for Dream Island.
- Fan references the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld by yelling "No order for you sir!", a play on the line "No soup for you!", except in a Chinese style.
- Dora dolls are used as the gift at elimination, and do indeed speak Spanish.
War De Guacamole
- Wal-Mart is shown as the place where Marshmallow got a launchpad that came with a free cucumber.
- The Annoying Orange and Apple cameo are seen doing the famous "Hey Apple" routine, ending with Knife slicing Apple.
- Dora Dolls are again used to help explain both the paint gun and baton relay race challenges.
- MePhone4S himself is a parody of the Terminator.
- The famous "putting on sunglasses" scene from Terminator is parodied by MePhone4S.
- The famous "I'll be back" scene from Terminator is parodied by MePhone4S and Cheesy.
4Seeing the Future
- MePhone4S, having revealed his identity, is a parody of the iPhone 4S.
- MePhone4S mentions that he has the new M5 chip, a play on the A5 chip in the iPhone 4S.
- MePhone4S has Siri, who has the same voice as Siri on the iPhone 4S.
- MePhone4S yells "Put that cookie down, now!", making an obscure reference to a line in the Arnold Schwarzenegger Christmas movie Jingle All the Way.
- MePhone4S yells at Apple when she is not crossing the quicksand, "Do it! Do it now!!!", referring to the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie Predator.
- The idea of going back in time to save someone's life is a nod to the Back To The Future trilogy.
- Wal-Mart once again is referenced, having sold a time machine and a dummy of MePhone4.
- When Marshmallow replies to OJ saying that Wal-Mart has everything, Marshmallow responds, "Yes, yes it does.", referring to the TV show Phineas and Ferb.
- MePhone4S yells that "This show is mine now! It belongs to me!", spoofing a line "You are mine now! You belong to me!" from the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie Kindergarten Cop.
- Team Chickenleg's tree is very similar to the "Charlie Brown tree" from A Charlie Brown Christmas, as well as Pickle (Charlie Brown in the special) stating that the tree needs him, and MePhone4 (Linus) explaining what Christmas is all about.
- When Marshmallow and Paintbrush trick Apple by dressing up as Santa, this is somewhat referencing How The Grinch Stole Christmas!, considering that in both specials, a little girl is fooled by a Santa impersonator.
- Wal-Mart again is used, this time for an aluminum tree.
- Dora dolls are seen again in Idiotic Island.
- The Island of Misfit Objects song that plays over the credits is a parody of the Island of Misfit toys song from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. The similarity draws from the fact that the eliminated characters on located on an island (Idiotic Island), and are misfits, since they have been eliminated.
- Another reference during the credits is a claymation picture that is seen at one point underneath the credits, referring to the various famous Christmas specials that have been animated through stop motion, including Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and The Year Without a Santa Claus, to name a few.
- Also during the end credits, along with other holidays, viewers are wished a Happy Life Day, referring to the Star Wars Holiday Special.
Double Digit Desert
- Knife says "Come at me, bro" to Paper, referring to a famous internet meme.
- When Lightbulb says "Oh boy, what flavor?" and MePhone4 responds "Egg flavor" and throws an egg in slow motion at Lightbulb, it is parodying the "pie flavor" scene in asdfmovie2.
- Baseball is given a new book, Twilight, with the cover and common reaction to it both parodied.
- Nickel saying "Well, I just know I'm going to win" is a reference to his appearance on Battle For Dream Island, as well as one of Coiny's lines.
- Bomb's spinning mouth is a possible reference to the Twilight Sparkle scene in DRESS.MOV'.
- During the underwater challenge scene with Pickle and Taco, SpongeBob's pineapple house can be seen in the background.
- Coiny and the Announcer (from Battle for Dream Island) make brief cameos during the slide-show.
- The recapper's delivery of the line "I thought I was doing a pretty good job" is a reference to the same quote by Patrick Star in the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "I Had an Accident".
- Firey from BFDI cameos during the elimination, stealing OJ's birthday cake.
- Upon returning to the elimination area after disappearing as part of making everything like the first episode, Bow acts shocked, claiming "this isn't Narnia", referring to the Chronicles of Narnia series of books, and also the movies based on them.
- Bow made a reference to Balloon when she said "Oh, come on!".
- The recap has a secret message including Toy Story and Inception references, and another containing a BFDI "wrong finger" reference.
- Bow dubs Paper's evil self "Mr. Angry Eyes", a nod to Mr. Potato Head from the Toy Story series.
The Great Escape
- The title of the episode is a reference to the famous book, film, and amusment park of the same name.
- Bow halts the eliminated contestants and slowly announces, "You. Shall. Not. Pass!", referring to Gandalf's famous line from the New Line Cinema film The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, based on the book by J.R.R. Tolkien.
The Tile Divide
- MePhone4S declares, "I'm back!"- a nod to a common catchphrase said by the Terminator in the movie of the same name..
- MePhone4 and 4S argue over lollipops and chainsaws, a possible reference to the video game Lollipop Chainsaw.
- Lollipop's BFDIA asset is used for MePhone's lollipops.
- The pink hover-board that MePhone4 gives as a tool to Pickle and Taco is a reference to Back to the Future Part 2.
- Taco yells "Finland!" at Pickle, a reference to the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Frankendoodle".
The Penultimate Poll
- MePhone4S makes more Terminator references and also says the famous Terminator 2 line, "Hasta La Vista".
Journey Through Memory Lane Part 1 and 2
Inanimate Insanity II
Breaking The Ice
There is a possible 300 reference when Baseball kicks Knife off the glacier, while yelling the 3-word phrase "I'm not FAT!", in possible reference to the "This is SPARTA!" scene from 300
Marsh on Mars
Tri Your Best
Cooking for the Grater Good
A Kick in the Right Direction
Let 'Er R.I.P
- Toilet's "Banana Bonkers" may be a reference to a drink of the same name.
- The police van from benjibuddy3's "Inanimate Insanity Fan Animation: A Man's Gotta Do" appears and throws MePhone4 out of the back.
- The numbers "11037", a reference to Danganronpa, appears twice this episode, once carved into the jail wall, and on the roomkey OJ holds at the end.
Theft and Battery
- The guest star's name is Steve Cobs; a pun on Apple's co-founder: Steve Jobs.
- Several Apple inventions are shown at Meeple HQ: Such as the Mecintosh (Macintosh), MePhone6 (iPhone), MeBooks on tables (Macbooks), and the SmartWatch.
- Gamey, the host of Object Overload (Reloaded), appears in this episode.
- MePhone4 repeating the word "probably" is a reference to Taylor Grodin's malfunctioning microphone in the sixth livestream (44 minutes in and 1 hour in.)
Rain on Your Charade
- The title name is a possible reference to the saying, "Rain on My Parade."
- Dipper Pines' Hat appears as a cameo during the hotel scene from the episode.
- The MLG Airhorn is used during the NOT FILLER Scene.
Mazed and Confused
- The title name is a possible reference one of Led Zepplin's songs, "Dazed and Confused".
- However, it could also be a reference to the song, "Amazed and Confused" by Neil Diamond
- Spoiled Lemon is a band that referenced The Beatles, The Wiggles, Gorillaz, One Direction, The Beach Boys, Evanescence and Simple Plan.
Alternate Reality Show
- When Hay Bale says "Giddy Up, Partners!", it is a reference to many western movies.
- Baxter references Mr. Krabs (Spongebob Squarepants), Crab (WordWorld), Krabby (Pokemon), The Crabs (Elmo's World), Crab (Pingu), Sebastian (The Little Mermaid) and many other fictional crabs.
- Bubble from Battle for Dream Island makes a cameo in the song "Just Like Me" after Lightbulb and Hay Bale jump on the trampoline.
- Black Hole (Battle for Dream Island) also appears in this episode, but, instead of a black circle, there is a blue circle inside it.
- Pie (Battle for Dream Island) and Paintbrush (Inanimate Insanity; the show itself) also appear as cameos in the same song.
- When the green light from Stop Sign says "Isn't Joy such a good emotion?", it references Inside Out, a Disney film from 2015.
- The Crappy Cliff is used during the entire episode.
- The Big Comfy Couch and Friends is referenced during the episode.
- A Different MePhone appears in this episode, like all the other MePhones, he is dark teal.
- The Hot Dog character looks just like the Dancing Hot Dog from Snapchat and its memes on YouTube, Instagram, IFunny, Dailymotion, Facebook and Twitter.
- The Turnip Character looks just like the turnip from The Octonauts Show.
- SpongeBob SquarePants is referenced during the episode.
- Monopoly is referenced in this episode during the "Just Like Me" song, but changed to Inanimate Insanity Infinite.
- The Elimination Time song is used in the episode.
- Rick and Morty
- When Salt jumps into a black hole, Lightbulb and Test Tube make a jawdrop, referencing the BFB Episode "Getting Teardrop To Talk".
- The Red Tie with a bow character looks just like Ruby from Battle for Dream Island.
- Turner from Handy Manny appears in the song Just Like Me.
- The Lion King is referenced in the episode where Lightbulb, Frank, Hay Bale, Kumquat, and the others were relaxing on the roof of the elevator.
- Salt and Pepper appear in this episode.
- Steve Cobs appears in a cameo after Paintbrush paints a picture of him.
- The ending scene to Part 1 of Kick the Bucket is used after Suitcase paints it.
- "THEIR LOSS!" Is a reference to the previous episode called "Kick the Bucket", as shown in a video by Sarah Frederick on YouTube.
- Chris McClean's voice actor also appears in the episode.
- 2 Battle for Dream Island Musics are used in this episode during Lightbulb and Test Tube's time travel into the Season 1 Episode "The Crappy Cliff" by Taco in Test Tube's Laboratory.
- InfiniteVideoEffects' icon is used during the episode, and the Inanimate Insanity Infinite Intro, The Logo, and in the Just Like Me song as a board game, and the title itself.
- When Test Tube said "It worked! My time machine worked!", it's a reference to an ASDF MOVIE 4 scene.